Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Picture of Dorian Gray. Book Review #4.


"This book brings extreme self discoverment and a dark realism on true being. Every chapter brings you to acknowledge the pain and truth in a persons vain. Inner beauty is proven to be more important then physical features."
Nicole Rodriguez

I chose this book because of the intelligence of the renowned anthropologist, Oscar Wilde.

The story is about a young artist named Basil who paints a beautiful picture (the best one he's ever done) of the young man Dorian Gray. Dorian becomes obsessed with it, and claims that if he could look as beautiful as he did in the painting, he would give up his soul. What then happens is that the painting becomes Dorian's conscience, and the physical affects of sin are reflected in the portrait instead of on Dorian himself.

This book was so intelligently written, and every page seeped into my soul, and I felt a real connection to Dorian. For me, I was so depressed at the end, but I realized that I felt so connected to Dorian because for me, he represented the human race! Our longing to be beautiful and free from sin. But obviously, sin will catch up to you, and for Dorian, the portrait helped nothing. The conclusion of this novel made me want to get down on my knees and thank God for saving the destitute wretch that I am.

Oscar Wilde wrote this book in 1891, 9 years before his death.

No comments: